Science fiction used to scare me. All I ever read was realistic fiction and that was my only comfort zone. But while I was sitting in the book store I saw that Divergent was a New York Times Bestseller, I knew I had to try. My favorite book that I read in 2013 was Divergent by Veronica Roth because besides opening up my eyes to science fiction. It’s plot is complex and the themes about identity and making big choices are powerful.
One reason I really enjoyed Divergent was because the protagonist, Tris, was someone I think many teens could connect to. She was a girl having to face choices that would change her life forever. When your young it’s not easy to find out which path to take in life. In the book Tris took the path that was more adventurous. This helped me as a teen see that sometimes making the choice that scares you is good. Also I like the book because of the importance of the theme identity. Tris has to discover who she is really is while she completes really difficult tasks with friends, enemies, and all the other obstacles she faces. Lastly I liked how the author used so many different types of writing tools to enhance the book. Not only action but things I had liked in my realistic fiction like romance and death. I could compare it a lot to the Hunger Games where teens that usually didn’t read science fiction loved it.
Overall Roth’s writing style was something I could connect to and couldn’t stop reading.The message in the book about identity and making big choices is something that relates to teenagers around the world because kids everywhere at some point in their lives have to make big decisions. Decisions that change their lives and sometimes it’s difficult to make choices like that for kids. Each page I read I learnt a new lesson, a new way to conquer a fear, and how doing things that always feel safe isn’t always the best decision. I recommend this book to anyone how wants to start reading science fiction but doesn’t know how.
No comments:
Post a Comment