Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Fox: A Cycle of Betrayal

     After closely reading Fox by Margaret Wilds and Ron Books, a story that follows two characters.  Dog, who has a blind eye, and Magpie, who had a burnt wing, complete each other. Together they become one. Dog can see and Magpie can fly. When Fox sees that he can never have the relationship that Dog and Magpie have. He bribes Magpie into leaving Dog but ends up leaving Magpie in the dessert instead. When trying to closely reading this book using word choice, I found that the story wasn't only about one thing. That the deeper I read into the text the more I realized how complex the characters and plot was.

     When I first read the story, my main thought was that the story was only about loneliness. And though that is one big theme in the story I soon realized that there were so much more themes. When I analyzed the text again this time I found a new theme. Betrayal. But not just betrayal but a cycle that ended until each character had nothing. In the past we know as readers that something hurt Fox and filled him with envy and rage. That could only be fixed with seeing someone else suffer. Then the betrayal was passed onto Magpie. Now she had a chance to fix. I predict that Magpie will learn from her mistake and go back and mend her relationship with Dog. The sad past is that instead of all other the three of them becoming friends they decided to hurt one another.

     This theme of betrayal and wanting to show other people the way you feel is something I think teens around the world can relate to. I learnt from closely reading this picture book that a story has many layers and levels of complexcity. You have to dig deep to find the good ideas. Overall fox is a great picture book that has lessons that can inspire you to be rebiable and trustworthy. To never betray someone and learn the value of friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment