Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hate List by Jennifer Brown

     In Jennifer Brown's "Hate List" she explores hatred and betrayal. The main character Valerie and her boyfriend, Nick have a hate list in which they write everything they dislike in. To Valerie it's just fantasy but Nick takes it to far and kills all the people in school one day including him and Valerie. But Nick dies and Valerie survives and she is left to deal with everything. This book shows us that it's difficult to face your emotions when being betrayed and hated. But this is exactly what Valerie must do. 
     The author really shows hatred and betrayal between Valerie and Nick. For example, When Nick stared shooting people in the school, Valerie didn't know what was happening. But she realized he was shooting everyone from their list and then he shoots her and himself. this is important because nick was someone she even looked up to and loved. It's important because she hates and feels betrayed by Nick and by what they have created.
     Jennifer Brown explores hatred and betrayal with the people that are close to Valerie. In this quote "And when it dawned on me that she was probably apologizing for being my friend, that dream world just blinked out, vanished. Never existed." This shows the reader that Valerie felt hatred and betrayal from her best friend, Stacy when she basically told her she wasn't her friend anymore. This is important because Stacy was one of the only people Valerie thought would understand knowing Nick very well. So Valerie was extremely hurt to hear this.
     To conclude, Jennifer Brown explores hatred and betrayal in her story "Hate List". Valerie not only feels betrayed and hated form the people she thought used to love her. She also felt hated and betrayed by her own self. This just added to the problems going on in her head. But when Valerie learns to control the thoughts and feelings in her mind, instead of caring what other people think. She will not need other peoples opinions on her. When that happens Valerie will deal with her life much better. 

1 comment:

  1. I really loved this essay! It made me want to read the book- it sounds really intense but interesting. I can kind of relate to it, even though I've never made a hate list, or had a friend kill the people on it. I know the feeling when you talk or gossip about other people to a friend and they take it way too far. Like telling everyone what you both said, or telling the actual person what was said about them. That feeling of hatred and deceivement also makes you feel guilty, like it was also your fault that you caused so much drama. I also loved the examples you used, I could tell you didn't just think an essay up and that you thought about the book in order to write this. I was a little confused about the Stacy part, and what happened with her and Valerie. But I loved this post and I want to read more of your writingg!

    ReplyDelete