Saturday, April 6, 2013

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

     In Scott O'Dell's "Island of the Blue Dolphins" the protagonist is a young girl named Karana, who is the daughter of the chief of the island. When her father is killed and everyone leaves the island. Karana and her brother, Ramo, are left alone. But when her brother is killed by the wild dogs she really is left alone. She has to fend for herself by making weapons, a house and cooking food. She is resourceful and after months and months of taking care of herself, a boat comes to take her away. She decides its time to leave the island like everyone else.

    The beginning of the book started off slowly and I didn't think I was going to like it. I had never been into reading historical fiction. But as it went on I fell in love with the protagonist couldn't stop reading. The whole book I kept thinking about what I would have done if I were the one stranded on an island alone.

     I definitely recommend this book to someone who wants to try something new and can handle a slow start. I really enjoyed it and am going to pick up some other Scott O'Dell books!

No comments:

Post a Comment