Monday, January 21, 2013

Life of Pi Comparing Book or Film

     Before I found out that "Life of Pi", an amazing book by Yann Patel, was going to be turned into a movie, I had picked up the novel at a library wanting to read it. When I was finished with it, I saw previews on television of the soon to be film. I was excited to see how the book compared to the movie. So when I finally saw it I was pretty surprised at how well it sacked up compared to the great book.

    The movie captured things that were so hard to really imagine in the book. It made it easier, like most movies, to understand what the author was really thinking about. When the author described a boy, tiger, zebra, hyena, and an monkey all on a life boat with no one else. It's extremely hard to actually think what that might be like. Considering that its fiction it's not like many people can relate to that. So in that way the movie was great and a little bit helpful in terms of seeing what the author was trying to show me.

     But you no what they say, the book is always better than the movie. And that's the same in this case. Yann Patel's writing and craft wins. No matter how many special effects you have. Overall I think it's just easier to describe a boy and a tiger becoming friends than actually acting it. In this case I would rather read the book again then buy the movie when it comes out on DVD.

3 comments:

  1. I lovee how you summed up the book and movie! Your writing made me envision what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the comparison you made between the book and movie. In my opinion no movie is as good as the book but there are some exeptions. Great post.
    -Aleyna

    ReplyDelete
  3. The comparison you made about the book and movie was very interesting. I have not seen the movie or read the book but this post has interested me to. You really made me envision what you saw.

    ReplyDelete