The book "Crank" by Ellen Hopkins is both confusing and entertaining at the same time. The books main character is a girl named Kristina, who is a good girl and lives with her mother and her siblings. But when she visits her dad she learns there's a completely different side to her. She struggles to find her true self and which personality she has is actually her.
Kristina's always thinking if she should be Bree, her crazy side or Kristina, her reserved side. She likes both at different times but can't be one all around. And every once in awhile she mentions the monster. I've had to think a lot about what the "monster" could represent as a theme but mostly I think it's just that urge people have when they want to do something they know is wrong. Kristina knows that she shouldn't have gotten a tattoo but she got one anyway because she kinda wanted to just do something bad. She needed something that could interest her and was risky so getting a tattoo was just a symbol of her wanting to be a rebel and knowing it was wrong.
I think people reading this book interpret it many different ways and I'm sure many people think that the monster she is talking about means something different. But that's why the book is good.
Oh my god! I LOVE CRANK! Great post. Really well written.
ReplyDelete-Aleyna